Persons wishing to be married in the State of Maine must apply for a marriage license from the Town Clerk's Office.
* Residents of the State of Maine intending to be married shall record notice of their intentions in the office of the Clerk of the Municipality in which at least one of them physically resides.
* If both parties reside outside Maine, they may file their intentions in any municipal office. Intention forms are open to the public.
* Once intentions have been properly filed, a marriage license may be issued immediately. The marriage license is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance, and the parties are free to marry anywhere within the State of Maine.
* For persons previously married, a certified copy of the most recent divorce decree or death certificate of the former spouse will be needed at the time the application is filed. Documentation being presented must have a raised seal or the original signature of the certifier on it. Photocopies are not accepted.
* The license fee is $40.00.
* Following the ceremony the license is permanently filed with the Town Clerk's office and the State of Maine. Certified copies can be obtained for a fee of $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional copy.
* There are two (2) forms required for completing marriage intentions, the intentions form and the Social Security Number (SSN) form:
* For a copy of the Marriage Intentions Form Click Here
(Please note--You may fill out forms prior to coming into the Town Clerk's office, but DO NOT SIGN THE FORMS ahead of time. They must be signed in the presence of the clerk/notary filing your intentions).