The function of the Investigation Division of the Police Department is to investigate all crimes that occur within the jurisdiction. Unlike larger departments where specific types of cases are assigned to specific detectives, the members of our Investigation Division investigate all types of crimes. They work the case from the initial report through to its conclusion in court.
All the investigators are trained in such areas as death investigations, crime scene management, evidence handling, sex crimes, fingerprints, surveillance, interviewing, court presentations, etc. Specific responsibilities of the investigators are described as follows:
• Preliminary and follow-up investigation of crimes.
• Assisting patrol officers with serious criminal arrests.
• Conduct all crime scene operations and processing in cooperation with the Department’s Evidence Technicians.
• Arrest persons charged with crimes.
• Cooperation with patrol officers concerning criminal intelligence.
• Serve as the Department’s Court Officer.
A member of the Investigation Division serves as the Department’s link to the District Attorney’s Office on all criminal cases and traffic summonses or arrests. The Court Officer prepares the criminal cases for District Attorney’s Office for presentation to the Grand Jury and ultimately the court for trial. For questions on traffic tickets please call 781-2300 and ask for the court officer.
As part of the Department’s community policing efforts a member of this office assists in the presentation of programs such as Neighborhood Watch, Protecting Children On-Line, Robbery Training for Financial Institutions, etc.