Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Welcome to the website for the town of Falmouth, Maine
Link for ResidentsLink for BusinessesLink for Online Services
Department Links

Town of Falmouth, Maine
271 Falmouth Road
Falmouth, ME 04105
(207) 781-5253

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a marriage license?
The bride and groom should come together to the Town Hall during business hours and each should bring their driver's license or state identification card.  Also, if either the bride or groom was previously married, they should bring paperwork showing the prior marriage was legally dissolved.  This documentation should have an original signature or a raised seal from the issuer on it.  No photcopies are accepted.  The fee for filing marriage intentions is $40.00.  The intentions can be filed up to and including the day of the wedding ceremony and are good for 90 days after filing.  

Do I have to register my dog and how do I do this?
Yes, all dogs over six (6) months of age must be licensed by the municipal clerk of the town each year by December 31.  Please stop by the Falmouth Town Hall during business hours to complete your registration.  Bring your dog's current Maine rabies vaccination along with proof of a spay or neuter operation if the dog has been altered.  The annual fee is $11 for unaltered dogs and $6 for altered dogs.  Late fees begin on February 1.  You can also mail in your check and copies of the required documents to the attention of the Town Clerk, Town of Falmouth, 271 Falmouth Road, Falmouth, ME  04105.  Or if you like the convenience of paying your bills from your home or office, you can license your dog online for an additional $1 fee.  Stickers/tags will be mailed to you the first week of the new month following the month you register online.  To pay for your dog license online click here

Do I have to register my cats?
No. It is not required under Maine statutes that cats be licensed.

How can I obtain a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record and how much does it cost?
The Town Clerk's office issues certified copies of birth, death or marriage records in accordance with State Law.  Please stop by the Town Hall during business hours to make a request and receive copies in person.  Or you can submit a request via mail.  Once received, we process your request in one business day and mail the copies to the address you specify.  Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your request.  The fee for certified copies of vital records is $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional copy.   

On July 12th, a new law preventing fraudulent use of vital records went into effect.  Vital records include birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, and domestic partner registrations.  Maine’s new law will require a person requesting a copy of records less than 100 years old to provide documentation establishing their direct and legitimate interest in the records.  

Until now, Maine has been one of just a handful of states that have allowed anyone, including individuals with bad intentions and for profit entities, access to these records.  Information from vital records will become completely open to the public 100 years from the date of the event.

Individuals who may access vital records less than 100 years old include:
  • The person named on the record;
  • The person’s spouse or registered domestic partner;
  • The parent(s) named on the record;
  • Descendants of the person named on the record;
  • Registrant’s legal custodian, guardian, or conservator or respective authorized representative (includes attorney, physician, or funeral director); and
  • Genealogists who have a Maine CDC issued researcher identification card.
Proof of identity must also be presented to the municipal and city clerks or state Vital Records Office staff.  A brief application for securing a copy of the vital record must be filled out and presented, along with positive identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or other government issued picture identification that clearly shows that the person requesting the record is who they say they are.  Identification requirements apply whether the records are requested in person or by mail.

For the request form to make a certified copy request click here.

How many elections does the Town have each year and when?
The Town of Falmouth holds two elections each year.  Elections for the municipal officers (Town Council) and School Board are held on the second Tuesday in June.  State and Federal elections are held on the first Tuesday following the first Monday in November.

Where do I vote and how do I register to vote?
Falmouth has one polling place for all residents--The Falmouth High School Community Gym on Woodville Road.  Polls are open from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM each election date.  Please remember to exercise your civic duty and vote!  You can register to vote anytime in the following ways: in person at Town Hall prior to Election Day, or at the polling place on Election Day by completing a Maine Voter Registration Application.  Maine Law requires you to show proof of identification (passport, driver's license or state identification card) as well as proof of residency (any official documentation showing your Falmouth residence) before your voter registration application can be accepted.  Voter registration can also be done through the mail or at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Who do I contact about General Assistance?
In the Town of Falmouth, the Town Clerk is the General Assistance Administator.  Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.  Please Click here to visit our General Assistance webpage or call the Town Clerk's office at 781-5253 for more information about this program.

What are the Town Clerk's Office Hours?
Office hours for the department are Monday, 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM. Friday- CLOSED

Are any licenses or permits available online?
Yes, we have several applications available online.  Simply print off, fill out and mail to the Town Clerk's Office at 271 Falmouth Road, Falmouth, ME 04105 with the required fees.  A staff person will contact you after receipt of your application materials.  Please Click here  to view our License/Permitting page and available online licenses.

How do I apply for a food service/victualer's license and how long will it take to be approved?
You should submit the application for a food service/victualer's license. Click here to view a copy of the application.  Once submitted, your application will be placed for a public hearing with the Falmouth Town Council at its next regularly scheduled meeting.  Please plan to attend this meeting to answer any questions from the Council members or public.  Once the hearing is complete, the Council will take a vote and, if affirmative, you will be a licensed victualer in the town of Falmouth.  The Town Clerk will then send you a license to display at your business that is good until the end of the fiscal year (June 30).  During the spring of each year, you will receive a renewal application to complete and send in.  Food service/victualer's licenses must be renewed each year before June 30.

What is the difference between a business being sole proprietor and a Limited Liability Company (LLC)?

Sole Proprietor

The majority of all small business start out as sole proprietor. These businesses are owned by one person, usually the individual who has day-to-day responsibility for running the business or it can also be for a partnership. Sole proprietors own all the assets of the business and the profits generated by it. They also assume complete responsibility for any of its liabilities or debts. In the view of the law and the public, you are one in the same with the business. Currently used by more than 75 percent of all businesses, it is often the suggested way for a new business that does not carry great personal liability threats. The owner simply needs to secure the necessary licenses, tax identification numbers, and certifications in his or her name, and you are now in business.

  • Easiest and least expensive form of ownership to organize.
  • Sole proprietors are in complete control, and within the parameters of the law, may make decisions as they see fit.
  • Sole proprietors receive all income generated by the business to keep or reinvest.
  • Profits from the business flow-through directly to the owner's personal tax return.
  • The business is easy to dissolve, if desired.
  • Sole proprietors have unlimited liability and are legally responsible for all debts against the business. Their business and personal assets are at risk.
  • May be at a disadvantage in raising funds and are often limited to using funds from personal savings or consumer loans.
Sole Proprietor licenses are issued by the Town only.

Limited Liability Company (LLC)
It is designed to provide the limited liability features of a corporation and the tax efficiencies and operational flexibility of a partnership. Formation is more complex and formal than that of a general partnership.
The owners are members, and the duration of the LLC is usually determined when the organization papers are filed. The time limit can be continued if desired by a vote of the members at the time of expiration. LLC's must not have more than two of the four characteristics that define corporations: Limited liability to the extent of assets; continuity of life; centralization of management; and free transferability of ownership interests.

  • Owners have limited personal liability for business debts even if they participate in management
  • Profit and loss can be allocated differently than ownership interests
  • IRS rules now allow Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) to choose between being taxed as partnership or corporation

  • More expensive to create than partnership or sole proprietorship
  • State laws for creating Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) may not reflect latest federal tax changes
LLC licenses are issued by the State and do not have to be registered in the town.

How do I apply for a liquor license and how long will it take to be approved?
Please contact the Town Clerk for assistance with liquor license application and processing time.  The Town Clerk may be reached at 781-5253.


Virtual Towns & Schools Website